From the “never been there before” to the “been there a million times,” solo travel has boomed in popularity over the last decade. Of course, it’s not for everyone; no one is going to rush you off to a foreign country when you don’t want to go.
But for those who want an adventure, or a change of scenery, or just some time to relax, here’s a list of places that are great for first timers:
- New Zealand– For travelers who are looking to immerse themselves in a new culture or just want to see some of the worlds with a minimum of hassle, New Zealand is an ideal choice. The country offers a wide range of destinations, from bungy jumping to hiking, from camping to glamping, from wine-tasting to surfing. After all, it is an island nation, so no matter where you go, you’ll have a gorgeous view of the surrounding ocean. But what really makes NZ special is the culture. New Zealanders are incredibly laid back and welcoming to visitors, which makes it easy for first time solo travelers to settle in quickly.
- Malaysia – For one looking for great solo vacation spots, there is no better place on earth than Malaysia. Why? Because it is one of the most culturally diverse places on earth. Malaysia contains a plethora of beautiful, natural wonders that are sure to take anyone’s breath away. From the fabled beaches of Langkawi, the vast rainforests of Taman Negara, the world’s tallest twin waterfalls in Kuching, the glistening tropical resorts of Tioman Island, the verdant rice paddies of the Cameron Highlands, and the towering mountains of the Cameron Highlands, Malaysia is a bird watcher’s paradise.
- Peru – Peru is one of the most interesting countries in Latin America and is one of the great places for first time solo vacationers. This country is filled with adventure and culture and is home to a diverse mix of people and landscapes. One of the most talked-about things to do in Peru is to soak in the beautiful white sand beaches that are found all over the country.
- Germany – this is one of the greatest places for first time vacationers. The country is well known for its exceptional services and the friendly people that populate the country. In fact, it was recently voted the top European destination for first time vacationers. It offers many first-time solo vacationers a wide variety of options. You would be hard-pressed to find a traveler who has not heard of its famous capital, Berlin, which is also the biggest city in Germany. Berlin’s history of war and oppression is evident throughout the city, but the city’s culture is still a vibrant and thriving one.
- Japan– As a first-time traveler to Japan, you might be worried about what to expect, especially since you won’t have anyone to lean on if something goes wrong. Although this may sound scary, it’s great news because it means you’ll get to experience a whole new world without relying on someone else to show you around.
- Iceland – In many ways, Iceland is the perfect destination for first time solo vacationers. With its diverse landscapes, friendly locals, and exciting activities, it’s no wonder Iceland has become such a popular destination for people around the world. Whether you’re a solo traveler looking for a new place to explore, or you just want to take a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, solo travel to Iceland is like a breath of fresh air.
- Thailand – Thailand could easily be on top of the list for solo travelers looking for a fun and interesting vacation. Thailand is a great place to visit because of the beautiful beaches, destinations filled with culture, entertainment, shopping, and fascinating architecture. Not only is Thailand a wonderful vacation to be taken independently, but it is also an amazing place to meet people. There is an even a greater sense of community in Thailand than in other places.
The number one reason why most people hesitate to take a vacation is that they are worried about flying alone. While flying alone can be intimidating, there are few ways to ensure that you are safe and have a great flight. One of which is to plan ahead. If you are flying for the first time, you should plan your trip ahead of time and research your destination. Take a look at the local weather and read about the area. Planning your trip will give you time to get excited about your upcoming trip and will help you feel less nervous when you are actually on the plane.